Well sweater pumpkins seem to be pretty popular and I know why, they are really neat! There also are a few tutorials available on the internet to make them yourself.
I found 4 great sweaters to use for pumpkins at a huge garage sale last weekend. All sized kids to teens. One went to my daughter's closet though when we got home. :)
I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I will show you a couple of pictures of how I made them just because it's a combination of the two tutorials linked above.
For the small pumpkins in the cloches I cut a sleeve off one sweater and then cut it into five pieces. Each is somewhere between 3"-4" long. The bigger pumpkins were from pieces of the other sleeve about 6"-8" long.
To make the bottom of the pumpkin:
1. Turn the piece wrong side out.
2. Gather the wider end with a long running stitch and pull tight. (no picture, sorry.)
3. Pull the gather stitch up and with your thread still intact begin stitching your gathered bottom together, forming the bottom of the pumpkin.
4. Turn the pumpkin right side out.
5. Fill with a ball of polyfill. I used batting because I have two big bags of scraps of it that I want to use up. I just pulled the batting apart and formed it into a ball.
6. Gather the top of the pumpkin together and hold with clothespins or have someone help you...or be very coordinated and hold it with your hand while you tie the string around.
7. Tie it up tight with string or twine, yarn, etc....whatever you want.
8. Continue to wrap the stem with your choice of fiber. Since I'm a string fan, that's my choice.
9. Secure the end with a bit of hot glue.
10. Thread a big needle with strong or double thread again and take stitches down from the top of the pumpkin, out the center of the bottom of the pumpkin, back up from the bottom and out the top. Continue pulling tight and taking stitches until you have shaped the pumpkin to your liking. I took about 6 stitches in each. Then knot the thread at the bottom.
I think you'll have fun making some!
The same but different: I made these out of an old feed sack. However didn't take stitches to form them. I broke two needles trying to however. The fabric was stronger, the pumpkins bigger, and my batting really thick on the inside. Its OK because they shaped really well anyway.
More on the orange pumpkin on next week. I used inkodye!
I'm linking up with: