After I halted my sorting the other day to make this wreath, I didn't get back to too much sorting. I ended up digging into my stash of old records.
I just leaned them on the mantle for now since it is still empty....
I used more of the piano forte music I used in the wreath, but added a layer of matte medium first so it had some strength. Then I could fold and bend the petals I cut from it. The fabric part of the flower is the lining from a vintage tie and has the brand name, "witty brothers" on it. :)
On this one, I left the petals flat using matte medium and mod podge.
On this one and the other pink backed one, I started with a coat of gesso and then used the same soft pastels I used on the clay projects to color them in. I fixed the pastels with a spray coat of finish afterwards. See the little textured piece of red paper in the center? That is a piece of hand made paper my 4h club made for Christmas ornaments about 14 years ago! I still have the bag of paper ornaments. I need to get that project going again with my current club.
I wasn't sure if this one would work out or not, but it did! I'm really happy with it too! I used mod podge to adhere strips of vintage fabric that I cut randomly into wedges and fitted them as I went along cutting the excess from either end as I glued them down.
I still have to decide how to put a hanger on them or find a proper easel to old them. But, for now I think I'll continue to experiment with more. Lots of ideas for them rolling around in my head.
Two of the records are the old 78 for phonographs so are thicker than the vinyl we played as kids. And two (pictured above) are Edison records, really old ones!! And, really thick! They have a nice heft and feel to them. The box full of them is so heavy!
I certainly won't be upcycling all of the records, I have to keep some for our phonograph!