A couple of weeks ago we went up to the farm to see the new hoop building that my husband and brother-in-law have had put up to house a growing herd of cows. We've been praying about this for a long time so it was neat to see it done. My husband is pretty excited about it.
The building provides and easier way to care for the cows and a better place for them while calving and to be through the winter.
Since these cows are fairly new to the farm, they were a bit jumpy and weren't going to let me get too close.
The new calves hang out behind the cows while they eat. :)
This field is now ripe, brown, and ready for harvest; just that fast it turned from green to 'ready to go'!
The corn is almost ready for combining too. (It's so pretty!)
Not chore boots. :)
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law had just gotten some new and very friendly kittens.
Randy says this one likes to crawl up his pants leg. (He doesn't much care for that...ha!)
Her claws gave Bonnie goose bumps!
Note my cool State Fair t-shirt, it's a goat silhouette and says within it "to the fair". Get it? "Goat to the fair!" I love it!
I've been taking some online classes again. I think it's wonderful we can learn so much without ever leaving home! Currently, I just finished watching the videos for Eclectic Beaded Crochet Jewelry on Jeanne Oliver's Creative Network. This is my first project, a double wrap bracelet. The beads and cording are new, but I was able to use three vintage buttons for the closure and dangles. I pulled the picture over from my Instagram feed.
I'm currently working on my second project from the site which will be a multiple wrap bracelet or necklace. I've been able to incorporate lots of vintage and left over beads from projects from years back. So nice to use what you have on hand already.
I hope to finish it as soon as I hit publish on this post and before I pick up kids. I better crochet fast!
But, after the rain we had last night, I knew this wreath I made yesterday had to go out in the wild for a little photo shoot. The colors in the wreath, the moss on the trees, the leaves just beginning to turn color....well, it was the perfect back drop.
When I got waylaid from an online class I was taking because of network issues, my mind jumped to making a fall wreath. I've enjoyedthis spring and summer scrappy one I made so much, I thought I'd give a go to a fall one.
One thing led to another and there was left over jute from my daughter's 4h project sitting beside me and I realized that's what the wreath needed to pull it all together.
And, then I made some scrappy beads to adorn it! I was first inspired to make beads like this a couple of years ago from Alma Stoller.
So the easy instructions:
Supplies: +foam wreath (I used a 17" one) Any size will work.
+fall colored scraps of fabric (felt, wool, cotton, etc)
+batting or flannel or felt scraps to wrap wreath first
+large crochet hook (size depends on jute size and wreath size)
+jute (size depends on wreath size)
I wrapped the wreath first with two layers of batting scraps to fill out and "plump" the wreath so to speak. At 17" in diameter the skinny wreaths they sell look too thin to me.
Then cut your scraps to varying widths and wrap around the wreath beginning and ending in the back. I only wrapped each scrap once around. Use glue gun (somewhat sparingly) to secure scraps in place.
With the jute and large hook, you basically slip stitch it around the wreath. Pulling the jute up in the center then up on the back. The jute does not twist around the wreath. I put the slip stitch around the outside of the wreath, but on the front could be really neat too.
I found these instruction for a crocheted wreath (which is really neat!) to help you a little more since I don't have more pictures. I was on a mission! I did not single crochet like she did though, I only slip stitched it around.
Add some type of adornment like the beads I made and you're ready to hang it. What a great way to use up scraps!
It's been a great year for the tank garden (you can see how much it's grown from a few posts back). There was quite a bit of experimenting as always. Things that didn't work well, things that did, and so on. I'm already planning for next year and the mums haven't even bloomed yet!