Inkodye and Vintage Inspiration Friday

I was sent three bottles of inkodye to play with and must say I had fun with it. It's a dye you just paint on and set in the sun to develop.  Within 5-10 minutes it's done!  Hopefully, if you try this product yourself, I can steer you away from a few mistakes :)  because I made some.

First the slide show:

Tips: what I learned
*sand wood first if you try it on wood.
*make sure your muslin (or fabric of choice) is prewashed!!  (dye washed off a bit on the new pieces I used)
*make sure you use recommended fabric, I grabbed a scrap and now realize it probably had polyester in it and some of the dye washed off.
*use the recommended strong detergent recommended on the site.  I used my Tide he  and it wasn't strong enough to adequately wash out all of the dye in areas I wanted to stay clear.
*saturate fabric but with no extra dye pooled.  Just nice even coat.
*I think masking needs to be done with tape and adhesive type of products.  It's hard to say how well the leaves worked because I hadn't prewashed the muslin.  I think they should have been flatter and tighter to the fabric
*I don't think white glue was a good resist (should buy the resist product if you need resist)

The dye worked great on the old feed sack, it was cotton and prewashed.  I also tried taping off an area and using rubber stamps (for a later posts) that worked great.

I dyed a feed sack for the leaves using the yellow green and black dye mixed together.

The small orange pumkin started with about a 16" diameter circle and the larger orange one, about 19".

Tutorial for the pumpkins is here.

What I loved:

*The odor of the product was minimal, just a slight ammonia smell.
*Clean up was easy.
*I used water to thin the dye
*Loved watching it develop and that it was fast.  In a couple of hours I got in a lot of experimentation!
*The black thinned with water is a nice gray.

These feed sacks are certainly vintage so I'm linking this post up with Debra for Vintage Inspiration Friday.


  1. Very nice! looks like fun and the finished products are going to look so nice in your house!

  2. i used a piece of glass that i got from the home depot to hold down some transparency negatives... it worked great, would prolly work on your leaves... just make sure the glass is bigger than your project and keep in mind that the glass does block some UV so it will take a bit longer to expose...


Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...